angpent

Angel's Book Reviews 2.0

The Last Olympian

The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan I have to say, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.

My interest in the series had kinda fallen a little bit ever since [b:The Titan's Curse|561456|The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)|Rick Riordan|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361038385s/561456.jpg|2936530]. I felt like there was not enough character development, and what there was was forced and cliché. I was very annoyed with the sudden (and bizarre) appearance of romance. Also, I was hoping that, like with Harry Potter (yeah, I know, they are two different series, but there are so many similarities you can't help but compare the two), the books would evolve from being "children's", or the youngest part of "young adult" to actual "young adult" or even just "adult"; and these books stayed pretty much the same regarding age grade. On top of that, there were all the writing problems I've already pointed out on previous books.

Still, this one was definitely worth the read. Instead of being the one and only reason why everything happens and people exist, the romance was a mere detail and, in fact, if you just ignore a few passages, you can almost pretend it doesn't exist at all (I'm a very good practitioner of "the power of denial"). All the loose ends that were left throughout the series were tied up satisfactorily. The characters seemed to mature splendidly, and quite naturally. Riordan even managed to be more subtle about the characters' feelings and motivations. I particularly enjoyed how the prophecy turned out. Like I said so many times, Percy did not convince me as a hero, and I felt like any other character would have done a better job at it than him. Turns out, he was not the hero! I'm not just being spiteful. I really think it makes much more sense like this.

Of course, there are many things that could have been done better. This is not, by any means, a "revolutionary" series, it is far from perfect and isn't even innovative. But it is fun to read. There's even a hook at the end of the book, which I suppose will launch the "Heroes of Olympus" series. The quality of this book bodes very well for the future ones. I'll definitely read them, and probably enjoy them too.