angpent

Angel's Book Reviews 2.0

Yes Please

Yes Please - Amy Poehler

YES PLEASE, BY AMY POEHLER

The categories don't really make sense for this book, since it's not fiction. So I'll replace it with (hopefully) quick commentary instead.

This is a very nice, sincere autobiography, written by a very interesting and surprisingly inspirational woman. Maybe it's a bit lame of me, but I'm into girl-power enough to be inspired by any successful woman... But Amy is not just successful, she gets to do exactly what she wants to do, the way she wants to do it. She got there through hard work, determination and not taking shit from anybody. And that is very inspiring.

That having been said, she's very much a straight cis white woman. She does make an effort to recognize her privilege, but twice in this book she calls black people racist for confusing one white person with another. This is humor, of course, but both times left me with an uncomfortable nagging feeling that she wasn't joking. And then she tells about her trip to Haiti...

I did like how she acknowledges how important her friendship with other women was in her life. Especially with Tina Fey, of course, but there were many other women who shaped, helped, supported or simply were there for her. She's very clear about how much she values them.

Overall, an enjoyable read if you're a fan of hers. (I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan you'll ever meet, but the friend who recommended this to me is, and she was very enthusiastic about it.) If you're not, it might be a bit boring. But then, I can't imagine why someone would read the autobiography of someone they don't care about.

Up next: One Plus One, by Jojo Moyes