angpent

Angel's Book Reviews 2.0

Being Light - Helen  Smith

109. BEING LIGHT, BY HELEN SMITH

Another one I couldn’t finish. And this one was very short, so I can hardly say I tried... But I have to admit, this one is almost entirely due to my own preferences. I won't even rate it, since I'm sure I'm being very subjective.

Ever since I left my teens and stopped trying to impress other people with how cultured and witty I was, I also stopped having time for quirky and deep books. That is not to say, of course, that there is anything wrong with liking them; I’m sure there are plenty of people who genuinely love this kind of book. The issue I have is that I never really enjoyed them, but for many years I’ve forced myself to read them, and the result is that now I can’t stand the sight of them.

My personal impression was: way too many characters who do impossible things (better yet, have those things happen to them, they actually do nothing) and who then proceed to do absolutely nothing about it. I’m sure there must be thousands of metaphors for stuff, but I’m really not into it. I like trash. I like books that have no pretension other than be entertaining.

Someone also told me that this book was supposed to be funny... Honestly, I didn’t get it. Maybe it was something very British, or maybe it was because of the language barrier... Either way, I would hardly categorize this as “humor.”

Up next: The Visitors, by Sally Beauman