angpent

Angel's Book Reviews 2.0

Perchance to Dream

Perchance to Dream - Robert B. Parker This book had nothing of what attracts me in noir (the wit, the subjective narrative, the well thought out plot and unforeseen plot twists, the almost satirical representation of an overly violent society) and every single thing that repels me in it (the homophobia, racism, misogyny, the violent male stereotype as the only one worth anything, cliché characters, even more misogyny, since there's so much of it saying it only once doesn't quite cover it).

On top of that, the storyline is obvious and uninteresting, existing only as a basis for the action scenes (which are quite badly written). The characters' motivations and reactions simply make no sense. For some reason, there's even a "big bad villain" who feels the need to explain his plans and his intentions while Marlowe is hearing, Bond-villain style.

As if that weren't enough, the author felt the need to include large verbatim quotes from [b:The Big Sleep|2052|The Big Sleep|Raymond Chandler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1371584712s/2052.jpg|1222673]. The prologue and the first three chapters are basically copies from that, and there are other passages throughout the text. It's quite a short book, and a big part of it isn't even original.

What a disaster... The only redeeming feature is that it's so short I didn't waste too much of my time on it. Hopefully, Benjamin Black will have done a better job of writing Marlowe.