angpent

Angel's Book Reviews 2.0

The Queen Of Zamba

The Queen Of Zamba - L. Sprague de Camp Before you even start, you already know you'll have to make several concessions. This book was written a long time ago, and in serial form. But even overlooking the problems those conditions would cause, this was not satisfactory to read.

I took way longer than I expected to finish it, simply because it was so boring. The narrative is fractured and simplistic. Everything is old-fashioned, not just the technology, but the ideas, the plot, the humor... (What humor, anyway? I've heard this book is supposed to be funny from so many people, and it's not. It's silly and shallow at best, and outright offensive at worst. The only things that made me smile while reading this were the failed attempts to use Brazilian Portuguese.)

I'll give another chance to this series in the hopes it will pick up on later books, but I'm not very optimistic.