angpent

Angel's Book Reviews 2.0

Legends

Legends - Anne McCaffrey, Orson Scott Card, Ursula K. Le Guin, Terry Pratchett, Terry Goodkind, Robert Silverberg, Robert Jordan, Tad Williams, Raymond E. Feist, Stephen King, George R.R. Martin When I started reading it, I didn't know all the stories in this book were connected to other series. Unfortunately, other than Discworld and A Song of Ice and Fire, I am not familiar with any of them... Still, those stories were all supposed to be somewhat independent from the main works, so my reading of them would not be too hampered because of it. The introduction to each story, that comments on the series and sums up some of the books in them I found exceedingly boring for the series I had read and too filled with spoilers and not vital information for the ones I hadn't, so mostly I just skipped them altogether.

The Little Sisters of Eluria - 4 stars
I have been meaning to start on The Dark Tower for a while now, and this story made me want to read it even more. It's not really what one would expect of Stephen King, but it flows very nicely. And the theme of the series, a journey filled with adventure, leaves a lot of room for many tales that I would like to read.

The Sea and Little Fishes - 5 stars
I love Terry Pratchett, and Granny Weatherwax is one of my favorite characters.

Debt of Bones - 2.5 stars
It was a good story, but with shorter fiction, a very small detail that would get lost in a full-length novel becomes very important. In this case, I just can't believe a mother who went to all the lengths Abby did and risked so much would simply give up on finding her daughter and go back to camp, no matter who else she found on the way. She could have given the other child instructions on how to find her father and gone back to look for her own daughter, if she was afraid of being discovered walking around with a little girl in tow. But I really can't see her, after everything she did earlier in the story, going all the way back to Zedd and trying to resign to the idea that her family was dead. That pretty much ruined the story for me... I would have given it just 1.5 stars, but I'll give one star more because it did make me want to read the rest of the books in the series.

Grinning Man - 3 stars
A nice, very inventive tale. I didn't get really into it because Alvin seems too perfect... All-powerful, all-knowing, all-wise. To be fair, it is very much in tone with other folklore tales of Picaresque characters, but those never held much appeal for me. As smart and powerful as they are, they always seem to be incredibly petty and vindictive, and Alvin is no exception. It didn't completely put me off the series, I might still give it a try, but I really won't rush to it unless someone else gives me a reason to do so. Otherwise, there are so many other books I want to read...

The Seventh Shrine - 3.5 stars
I really want to read the rest of this series. The story in itself wasn't bad but wasn't all that good either; basically a mystery story that isn't very well-weaved. I thought the solution came way too easily, and maybe to make up for that Valentine makes some very melodramatic gestures in the end. But the world and the backstory seemed both fascinating, and I'll definitely look out for the other books.

Dragonfly - 4 stars
This was a pleasure to read. Beautiful, lyrical, magical... I was sad when it ended. I did find some things a bit confusing, but I imagine that is probably because I haven't read the other books. But I surely will.

The Burning Man - 3.5 stars
I quite liked this one, but, once again, not having read the other books probably made me miss out on a lot. I surely felt like there was a lot of information I was missing...

The Hedge Knight - 4 stars
I only took one star away from this one because I'm growing very impatient waiting for George R. R. Martin's next book. Seems like he will never finish this series! It was very weird reading something of his that has a beginning, a middle and a clear end. He keeps in tune with his other books regarding the killing of his characters. Near the end, I was thinking to myself that it was a nice, action-filled fantasy story with a happy ending, when suddenly brains started leaking out of helmets... But I really should have been ready for that.

Runner of Pern - 3 stars
I settled for three stars, but I really didn't know what rating to give this book. I did not like the story, I thought it uninteresting with forced romance. I liked the main character, but her romantic partner made me want to gag, and her interest in him was dubious at best. However, after it was done, I found myself wondering about the Pern universe and wanting to know more about it. I'm itching to read the other books in the series, despite having disliked this particular story so much. I know it wasn't good, but, to create this kind of effect in me, it really can't have been that bad, right?

The Wood Boy - 2 stars
"Poor, poor Wood Boy, did so much for the girl he loved, did everything for her, if only she had noticed him and not been a manipulative, greedy, power-hungry bitch everyone in the world would be happy; but since she didn't notice him and that is what she is, the world is a fucked up place." Spare me. I did get somewhat interested in the politics and the war behind this, so I might check out the rest of the series. But at the first mention of this kind of trope, I'm putting it down and never picking it up again.

New Spring - 3 stars
I got very interested in this universe. I will definitely read the rest of the series. But I think this story depended a lot on whether or not you've read the other books, and I really must have missed a lot because I didn't. There was just too much information crammed into a relatively small number of pages. It was very difficult to understand how their world worked, and to keep track of each character's personal history and cultural costumes. But I did like the story.