angpent

Angel's Book Reviews 2.0

The Long Quiche Goodbye

The Long Quiche Goodbye - Avery Aames I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Having recently read [b:The Long Goodbye|2054|The Long Goodbye (Philip Marlowe, #6)|Raymond Chandler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388225584s/2054.jpg|998106], and having this one gathering dust in my TBR list, I thought it would be only natural that I should give this a try. Spoiler: it has nothing at all to do with Raymond Chandler.

It's a bit silly, most of the pages are taken by commentary on food or decoration, the mystery is no mystery at all, the romantic subplot is so conventional it's cringe-worthy. The investigation and police procedure... Oh. My. God. It's so unapologetically unrealistic it will leave you wondering what reality really is. It is a moralist chick-lit romance book masquerading as a mystery.

However, I did read it all the way through. The "whodunit" was no challenge at all, but I found myself rooting for the main character to get her sexy, mysterious cowboy. I am a chick, after all, so I suppose it's no big surprise that I would enjoy chick-lit. (I also feel a bit bad about men, who would never be allowed to enjoy anything aimed at women without putting their own masculinity in check.)

This was one of those books you're kind of embarrassed to admit you liked. I know it's not a good book, not by a mile. But it was fun to read, at least for me, so giving it less than 3 stars would make me a hypocrite.